"I prayed for this child and the LORD has granted me what I asked of Him" 1Samuel 1:27

Sunday, December 9, 2012

THE GIFT OF SERVING OTHERS

 As I write this, there are only 15 more days until Christmas. This time last year Gabe was still some what confused with all the glimmer and lights that go along with this time of the year. He had never spent Christmas with family, never received gifts, and certainly had never heard the REAL REASON that we celebrate this time of year. For the first 5 yrs of his life, he had known nothing of our Fathers love for him. He had no idea that God had a plan for his future. But now, a year and a half later, he knows what its like to have the love of a family, he knows and anticipates the “open presents” part of Christmas (which I kinda don't like), and though he knows it's Jesus's birthday, he still has no idea the importance of this day. And sometimes, nor do we. Or we do, but sometimes forget. Just like little kids, we big kids get caught up in all the glimmer and lights and sometimes forget what's most important. We worry about getting the perfect gifts for our kids, our friends, our kids friends, parents, siblings, all those who matter to us.........and sometimes we don't even think about those who really matter..........to no one. In the bible, Jesus refers to them as, “the least of these.” Mother Theresa quotes: “The dying, the cripple, the mental, the unwanted, the unloved, they are Jesus in disguise.” Matthew 25:40 says, 'And the King will answer them, 'Truly I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to Me.' The least of these. Jesus in disguise.

. If Jesus came to your door, sick, dirty, starving and alone, would you turn your back and just go on trying to think happy thoughts and pretend you didn't see him, and go on about your life?? No, of course you wouldn't. But then I don't think God is going to make it that easy for us by sending Jesus to knock on our door!! Nope, I don't think He will, but I do think He sends Jesus in disguise, in hopes that we will recognize the opportunities He gives us to love and serve Him, by loving and serving others, as in, “the least of these.”

This Christmas season as you hurry around to finish up your shopping and get everything just right for this big holiday, I hope that you will take some extra time and think about those who Jesus described as “the least of these” and do something for them too.

And now here comes my plug for the plight of the orphan. Kids like our Gabe and Cole, are thrown away by their society because they ARE the least of these. All of these kiddos long to be loved and to give love. They long for families who will love them, despite the needs they have. They wait day after day, night after night. But no one comes.

Jesus says, “For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me.” Matthew 25:35
Maybe it's not right for you to pursue a special needs international adoption, and that's ok, but if the Lord has placed that on your heart in some form or fashion, I beg you to act on it. It's the greatest gift you will ever receive. If not, don't worry, Jesus is in disguise all around us. There are always opportunities to serve Him by serving others, whether it be on the other side of the world or just down the street. But I encourage you to open your eyes and hearts this Christmas season, and do something to help the least of these, where ever that might lead you. When we find a way to serve others, we are serving God. I pray this Christmas season that we all will see “Jesus in disguise” and say “yes” in a way that is pleasing to Him.

We (my family) have until the end of December to continue trying to raise funds for our little guy on the Reece's Rainbow Angel Tree. This money will go into his grant fund account and be used by the family that decides to adopt him. His name is Orson(that's not his real name) and if you haven't already given to “one of the least of these” this season, he truly falls into this category. If you would like to help him, you can use the donate button here on my blog or go to the Reece's Rainbow Christmas Angel Tree and donate to Orson or one or more of the other kiddos. Every little bit helps when it comes to adopting one of these treasures. Maybe you could do it because you know our boys, Cole and Gabe. Maybe you could do it just because you love the Lord!

May you and yours be blessed this Christmas season.

No comments:

Post a Comment